Okay so who doesn’t LOVE Mac & cheese?! If you tell me that you don’t I really don’t think we can be friends…. So what’s so great about this recipe and how does it part it from the rest?
When you portion it out, dividing the full pound into 8 servings, it’s 350 calories and 5 grams of fat. Talk about potion control though! The second best thing, is that really this recipe is made up of mostly staples that you should have in your pantry so it’s low budget. The only add ons would be the pasta, cheeses & fresh cilantro. Everything else, if you don’t keep it on hand, you definitely should!
So anyway, CRAZY yummy southern comfort food. But don’t over eat, because that’ll decrease how healthy it really is.
- 1 box elbow pasta
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup minced onion (I love onion so I used a little more)
- 1/4 cup flour (keep some extra handy)
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth (vegetarians use vegetable broth)
- 2 cups reduced-fat sharp cheddar
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup of fresh cut cilantro
- cooking spray
- Optional additions: salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente.
- In a large, heavy skillet (with high sides), melt butter. Add onion and cook over low heat about 2 minutes, add flour and cook another minute, or until the flour is golden and well combined.
- Add milk and chicken broth slowly while whisking the sauce, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil; cook about 5 minutes or ntil the sauce becomes smooth and thick. If the sauce fails to become thick, add 1/2 tbs of flour and whisk until it blends.
- Once the sauce is thick, remove from heat, add cheese and mix well until cheese is melted. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Add sauce to cooked macaroni and mix well. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Top with grated cheese, breadcrumbs and cilantro.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, then broil for a few minutes to get the breadcrumbs golden.
- Serve & enjoy!
Recipe inspiration: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/skinny-baked-broccoli-mac-cheese/